Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Surf practice on Lake Wingra

It's not an ocean, but Lake Wingra proved to be a nice spot to put the finishing touches on my preparation for surfing with some stand-up paddle boarding. On Monday, I was lucky enough to be joined by my friend Rebecca (who is the wife of my trainer, Jeff, and is also a fitness instructor at The Fit), who provided some great moral support and a trained eye to troubleshoot my surf pop up technique. 



First, I gave things a try as intended, standing and paddling. I climbed up to stand from my knees and got a feel for the balance of the board as I paddled around a bit.  Next, it was time to see if I could pop up on a board - albeit a big, thick one that is not a surfboard.
  

I paddled hard to get a little forward motion and then...

 

a quick (though somewhat awkward-looking in a photo) movement to...  


STANDING!

I practiced jumping up about a dozen times and managed it just fine. The "atta girls" from Rebecca were icing on the cake. And, bonus,  no dunks into the lake. I made sure I spent some time laying down and paddling and also just standing on the board as the wind pushed me around. It all felt like great prep.

Cocoa Beach,  here I come!  


No comments:

Post a Comment